The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Book Game

The Book Game
Here are the rules:(Stolen from Alicia who stole them from Nikkianna)
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest

Egads!! Of COURSE the book closest to the computer is an encyclopedia...and what a nice surprise to see that it's not the one I EXPECTED for my daughter's current assignment, but another topic entirely with a bookmark on the State of Maine....I love those moments when you realize that they really DO love learning! At any rate....here is the exciting entry:

"Thus, the meter (m), the basic measurement of length in physics, is now defined as the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second. The velocity of light in air varies slightly with color, averaging about 3 percent less than in vacuum; the speed in water is about 25 percent less, and in glass, 33 percent less. Light has an important effect on many chemicals."

I thought it interesting for two reasons: 1) This year I was a monitor in my daughters homeschool coop physics class, so this actually made some SENSE to me as I read--which wouldn't have been the case before homeschooling, and
2) I'm currently discerning about curriculum for next year...and often ask God for that "neon sign" versus the flickering candle.

After many little blog games/quizzes that my husband has referred me to, it'll be nice to see what HE comes up with on this one....I'll have to move the encyclopedia!