The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

A quiet Tuesday...

Today was one of those homeschool days when both girls WANTED to do work, and had no desire to argue with each other or the teacher....a dream day! Currently my youngest is playing doctor to an alligator puppet stuck on her father's foot....his temperature is 1.3, by the way....can you tell we haven't gotten to that method of measurement yet?!! The alligator is asking for celery flavored ice cream...meanwhile, she is finally eating her vanilla. My oldest just finished watching "Persuasion"--another Jane Austen movie--and will no doubt be begging for the computer soon to do more work on her second story...

We're doing a "fun" unit study this week on animal habitats and world geography...they like it partly because they can watch videos for school, and partly because it's a topic they both love. Next week we do Ellis Island and immigration, and then we'll finish out the US history year by trying to incorporate this century's key points into a unit on entertainment and fashion of the century. NEXT year we'll start with alot of curriculum resources from Catholic Heritage Curriculum(I'm 90% sold on all the research I've done so far)...I'm pretty burnt out doing everything on my own. I've been working on the girls' portfolios the past week or so, which has been good for me. About this time of year I start with the nagging "what have I missed?....am I REALLY doing this right?" doubt about my ability to give them what they need. Putting their portfolios together has been a good therapy session for ME to see just how much they really have done over the year. I also find it incredibly relaxing as I do alot of scrapbooking for their pages...a good way to turn off the brain for awhile.

Speaking of therapy, tomorrow I go for vestibular rehab for my vertigo. I must admit that I'm nervous about it. Some say that it makes the vertigo WORSE before it gets better (although I'm encouraged to know that 80% of those who undergo the therapy have the vertigo completely eliminated from their lives)...right now it's not so bad that it keeps me from living, although I'm quite annoyed by not being able to sleep lying down. I am LONGING for my flannel pillowcase and sheets and nice quilt to curl up under while stretching my legs out ALL the way....ahh, the simple joys of life!

Winter has returned with yet another wave of COLD windy weather....I had both my weekly TOPS meeting and my monthly homeschool "mom's night out" cancelled for tonight. I went back to TOPS (a weight loss group called Take Off Pounds Sensibly--a cheaper version of WW) in January and am down 16 pounds so far...so I was very disappointed to have two weeks in a row cancelled due to weather. And needless to say, the "mom's night out" is ALWAYS a nice break, just to talk to other homeschool moms in the area and know that I'm not alone in my quirks and anxieties. Instead, I make a nice healthy salad for dinner, ate with my husband, and spent a warm cozy evening at home. Not a bad trade-off! I'd best be getting the alligator moving...it's his turn to put the girls to bed!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ted Stander said...

I was searching for home school books, and came to your site Laurel. After reading A quiet Tuesday..., I could really use this on my site, home school books, with your permission of course.

9:49 PM  
Blogger freefood100 said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this A quiet Tuesday... blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about create a free gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site create a free gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering create a free gift certificate.

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

6:21 PM  
Blogger freefood100 said...

I am not very good at writing blog post and found A quiet Tuesday... while searching for free gift certificate related stuff...I am usually on ICQ and was chatting with a buddy of mine about a website he found regarding free gift certificate and we were amazed at how well the site is put together.

I was wondering if anyone here had any feedback about it. Please let me know if you like the site and post back here or any resources you know about free gift certificate. I will be bookmarking this blog and I will check back in a day or so. Thanks!

3:17 AM  
Blogger stuffthatsfree101 said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this A quiet Tuesday... blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about free printable gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site free printable gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering free printable gift certificate.

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

10:53 PM  
Blogger freefood100 said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this A quiet Tuesday... blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about certificate free gift online specifically. And I found this great site certificate free gift online and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering certificate free gift online.

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

10:10 PM  
Blogger stuffthatsfree101 said...

My friend actually sent me a link to this A quiet Tuesday... blog post and I have to admit, theres some pretty good info here but nothing about free blank gift certificate specifically. And I found this great site free blank gift certificate and was wondering if anyone here also thinks it has a good concept offering free blank gift certificate

I am bookmarking this to check back in a couple of days, please let me know what you think! If anybody knows of any sites that are similar please let me know. Thanks!

10:08 PM  
Blogger stuffthatsfree101 said...

I was looking at several blogs and I was wondering why I keep seeing all these irrelevant posts. Do they get deleted or is that even possible?

Anyways...thats just a little pet peeve of mine. I am trying to get some feedback on my website. I am hoping people can reply to this post because I am bookmarking it.

I am pretty busy working online and I will check back in a couple of days. Please let me know what you think about my free gift certificate form website.

Bye for now, dont forket to check it out and let me know what you think.

6:15 AM  
Blogger stuffthatsfree101 said...

HI there....I came across your A quiet Tuesday... blog and was wondering if you could help point me an some direction because all I keep finding is free gift certificate form related stuff and I am very interested in it but not finding anything about the subject. I am looking for free gift certificate form...although I did come across this site free gift certificate form and it was actually pretty cool. I was hoping to get some feedback and I think you have a great blog here and I will be bookmarking it to check back in a couple of days.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other resources related to free gift certificate form specifically and post it here. I will much appreciate it...thanks!

3:40 AM  
Blogger pshinen said...

I was browsing through the blogs here and searching for related to free amazon gift certificate and I just had to share my website with you. Please click here and check out a load of free stuff on free amazon gift certificate. Let me know what you think! You can get free amazon gift certificate by filling out some free offers and redeeming it for points good toward all gift certificates.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

A quiet Tuesday... is the perfect article for my web site, home school cirriculums, Laurel . With your permission I would like to link to it. Thank you

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ted Stander said...

After reading A quiet Tuesday..., Laurel I believe I could use the content for my site, homeschool . If I could have your permission.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home