The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Sunday's Speculations...

The girls are watching Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park", so I have a few minutes before heading off to church. (It's so nice to have daughters that actually ASK to watch Jane Austen!). My husband actually had to head in to the office this morning, so I spent the morning downloading various composer photos. On Mondays I teach two music history/appreciation classes at our homeschool coop, and they are working on a joint class project for our upcoming art/science/history fair. All year their homework has been to compile various historical events around the lives of the composers we've studied, and now we have to mount them all in order on a big display board. I think the end result will look pretty nice, and they'll all have some great timelines to add to their individual portfolios for the end of the year. I've just had a blast teaching these classes....as someone who started on piano at age 6, I've always loved the classics, and to excite our young ones about classical music is so rewarding. We've used "The Classical Kids" curriculum by Susan Hammond (www.childrensgroup.com), and I've supplemented with lots of video and audio clips....everything from animal videos to Bugs Bunny cartoons (our family favorite has to be Elmer Fudd singing Wagner's "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wab-bit!") to Beethoven's 9th in Sister Act II. The kids have all learned so much and had a ball doing so. I am hoping to be able to offer it again next year, although the coop has always asked about a possibility of a chorus group. Last weekend I organized a field trip to the world premiere stage production of one of the books we used--"Mr. Bach Comes to Town"--performed by the Bach Choir and Touchstone Theater of Bethlehem....it was incredible to see the curriculum come to life! They are scheduled to return next year in January, and I know that I will go back...I do wish we could afford more trips to the theater. We do have one more trip scheduled to a children's concert at the Allentown Symphony in April. I'm grateful that both girls seem to share our love for the classics...although my oldest has a definite preference for country! (I myself love so many genres I'd have a hard time choosing just a few!) My youngest is even now sitting on the couch reading a "Baby Blues" cartoon book and singing her own little "hymn"....she sings throughout the day, and I often hear some wonderful hymns being created. If she can someday learn to yield her will to God's, she'll make a wonderful nun...or do great things in whatever occupation she chooses! In the meantime, her will is a guarantee to keep me on my knees--often!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home