The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Thursday, April 21, 2005

One of the many reasons we homeschool...

We just got home from one of our "field trip" days....went to a youth performance of a local symphony orchestra (our homeschool coop is able to get the cheaper tickets along with all the school groups) which the girls just loved. I am forever amazed at just how well homeschool children tend to behave at these concerts....quiet, attentive, and appreciative (heard much "whispering" going on throughout the hall during the numbers that children might not have known as well).

There were 16 of us today....guess that counts as some socialization, huh? Topics of discussion beforehand ranged from next year's curriculum choices at our coop to lives of the composers. I noticed children talking with children of all ages--and even adults they didn't know by name--without any thought to whether the others were in the "clique" or not.

Afterwards, we went for a late lunch....during which time the children's menu allowed for plenty of English and science as it was all about dinosaurs...between spelling and word games my six year old waited patiently for her meal (while another child a bit younger quietly fussed a couple of tables over because "they are taking TOO long with MY food"). My oldest and I discussed the ethical implications of what would happen if they found a dinosaur fossil with enough preserved marrow tissue (I vaguely remember hearing this on the news in the last week or so, but haven't seen anything since) to clone it and bring back the species. After our meal, my oldest used a bit of math to figure out the tip.

From there, it was off to the library, where they each picked out books, videos, and puppets (my music history class is doing a short puppet scene from "The Magic Flute" and we needed some puppets!). And now we are home, with one curled up with Lemony Snicket and the other watching the muppets. Me? I now have some time to work on portfolios after a wonderful day with two of my favorite people in the whole world......and THAT is why we homeschool!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home