The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Monday, April 18, 2005

Retreat Reflections -- Part One

Saturday I had the pleasure of a day away with God on a one day retreat for my lay ministry schooling....I figure I have enough blog material to last quite awhile now, and it felt so good to reconnect with Jesus in a personal way that only retreat can do. Our retreat leader was a wonderful woman from Massachusetts, and she had SO many things to say that touched me deeply--some even hurt a little. Today I just want to focus on the two things that she said that have stayed with me throughout all my reflections.

The first, in doing a whole reflection on Martha and Mary, was the one that hurt....as I too often falsely pride myself on being a Martha--and STILL believe that the Church could not survive WITHOUT the Marthas--it was a zinger to hear this (and I'm paraphrasing): "Being Martha is easy....there are always things that need to be done, and it's so easy to let those distractions guide us as we serve our Lord throughout they day....sort of the Elasticgirl of the New Testament (my additional!).....however, you have to CHOOSE to be a Mary. You have to make it a PRIORITY to take time to just sit at His feet and listen". I still hate it when the Holy Spirit gets me that way. I already struggle with guilt over a prayer life that's not as good as it should be, and now my "Martha" excuse has just been blown out of the water. Precious Lord, give me the desire to CHOOSE to be with you...

The second thing I heard that made the whole day worthwhile in itself is this:
"Noone LEAVES the Catholic Church and then "finds" something else in another church...no, we FIND something else first, and then leave". I've been reflecting on this a lot as someone stopped me in the middle of Home Depot the other day to confess that he's struggling with his faith and might leave to go to a Protestant church. I believe the above statement is so true in two different ways....first, we can be failing as a Church in really sharing the gospel of Jesus and that personal relationship that we all need, and two, people can make choices contrary to the Church which then lead them to "find" the justification for those choices elsewhere. Case in point...this person had left his wife years back and remarried, and now questions all these "rules" about communion and remarriage and contraception and God knows what else (it's quite difficult to have deep religious conversations in Home Depot with anyone when you also have a six year old who's bored along for the trip!). I realized that this person has ALREADY left the Church, and is grappling with how to make that choice "work" for him. I plan to call him and share my feelings and thoughts, and will pray for him.

As a convert who questioned just about EVERYTHING about the faith in the conversion process, I now cannot even FATHOM leaving. Although I have nothing against any Protestant church who shares a Christian view of personal relationship with Jesus, I can't imagine why anyone would leave HIM--Jesus Himself, who comes to each of us everytime we approach His table in the flesh--to go elsewhere. It's like buying a stove with only 2 of the four burners working. Yes, you can cook a meal, but why not have the Maytag of the line with every burner a blazing? That's enough for today...will do some more retreat reflections over the course of the next week or so. And, of course, there's that little matter in Rome to talk about.....:O)

1 Comments:

Blogger Epiphany said...

I never thought of the martha vs. mary thing before. I wish I could say I have not fallen prey to this myself, but I seem to be in the Martha category too often anymore. Thank you for sharing that...kind of a wake up call for me.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home