The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Last day of school tomorrow!

The equestrienne had her evaluation today, and it went really well; not only did the evaluater NOT cringe at the width of the portfolio, but as she also loves to scrapbook she thought it was all the more wonderful (I hope content counts as much as presentation!! :O) !!). I also learned that until the evaluation is over, I doubt myself as a teacher. Really, I do. I think the evaluation is more for ME than the student. I've been so nervous "trusting my instincts" in regards to math, and she said that it sounded like just the right thing to do for the STUDENT. I guess that's where the educational system just CAN'T compete with homeschooling. We can cater our curriculum to exactly what the student NEEDS, whereas in most classroom settings the student has to conform to the curriculum...whether or not it works for them. I also have a hard time admitting that my child isn't "perfect" in every subject...that maybe not doing the grade level math right now, but switching to a slightly less difficult curriculum that gives her the learning approach that she succeeds with, is actually smarter in the long run. So today I feel like we had a successful year. Granted, until the Stanford test results come in and show that she hasn't dropped 67 points in every subject I will still be a bit fretful--SOME of the time! For now, I look forward to our last day of school tomorrow, with a closing prayer service, lunch out with Dad, and then later on the movie "Madagascar".

I'm also almost done with next year's lesson plans....now THAT'S a change!! After two years of doing EVERYTHING myself, it's so nice to just mix and match the different weeks to match the liturgical year, and pick and choose the seventh grade subjects and follow the guidelines for schedules, and voila! I'm almost done! The workload seemed like alot more while planning, but in the end I think it will come out to be just a little more time spent doing work for the girls (and I've already told her that in 7th grade she SHOULD be doing a bit more), and the added structure will help.

I'm currently reading a book entitled "A Mother's Rule of Life", which promises to bring "order to the home and peace to the soul"....I was skeptical when I started, but already it's making so much sense. One of the reasons I think our house tends to be so chaotic is that we don't have ENOUGH structure. The girls have grown up more or less having to do nothing, and I'm beginning to see the consequences--and it's not a pretty sight. I also believe that the Catholic curriculum will help them in learning about carrying their share of the household responsibilities. In the last week I've begun giving them some chores, and they seem totally receptive (well, MOST of the time!). This summer we'll have little checklists and charts all over the house as we ALL do a little behavior management (my forever friend is smiling as she reads this as that's her profession!)....and hopefully we'll all enjoy the positive benefits of less stress and more free time. Sort of a paradox, but it makes sense.

Oh, well, I've gone on much too long....off to give the storm queen her bath!

1 Comments:

Blogger Magou said...

Hi there, have been absent from the blogging - but it is so wonderful to catch up with the events at your house - and yes, I smiled from ear to ear when I read about the reward charts - it really works if the reinforcer is strong enough....hang in there, you are the best Mom I know!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home