The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

YAAAAYYY! The portfolio is done!!

As a homeschool mom, nothing is more exciting than to finally finish the portfolio for the year...especially with the Equestrienne's evaluation just two days away! :O) I find that there are two types of portfolios...one--the simple type that shows what learning has taken place, and two--the "so-thick-that-I-needed-to-go-to-Staples-to-get-the-widest-binder-allowed-by-law" type....guess which kind we do?? :O) I suspect that our evaluator cringes when we walk in, but when I asked my daughter if she'd prefer a shorter version, she replied quite passionately that she LOVED the thick portfolio..."it's my MEMORY of sixth grade, mom!". When I started thinking about it that way, I realized that I feel the same way. I include photos, little keepsakes, and probably more writing samples than I need to...but it's a memory of the year, and shows alot more than just what's been learned academically. It shows her emotional growth, her spiritual maturity, and even the little things that she loves (for example, the "theme" this year is Beatrix Potter since she loves rabbits right now). I also find that the process--which involves a fair amount of scrapbooking--is very relaxing for me. Down the road we may take out alot of the odds and ends (like MATH sheets! :O)), but the "memories" will remain.
Now that the required one is done, I can start finishing up the Storm Queen's (I don't legally have to turn one in for her until she's 8, which will be 3rd grade). She's been sick the past couple of days, but at one point asked for her kindergarten portfolio to look through...and then "reminisced" her way through "when I was younger" days. She must be starting to feel better, for she's getting a bit more argumentative!
Friday is our last day of homeschool for the year. We'll have a short closing prayer service, promotion to the next grade, and then pick up Dad for lunch. I think afterwards I'll treat them to seeing "Madagascar"...not a bad way to end the year! :O) Okay, that's it for now...I"m off to finish up the schedule for NEXT year! I hope that my blog life will get back to normal in the next few weeks! I"ve missed so many of you!

1 Comments:

Blogger Epiphany said...

Yay! So glad to have you back! I've been wanting to ask you about TORCH homeschooling. My godmother's oldest daughter uses that for her three oldest daughters and I have begun to contemplate it as of late. Anything you know about it would be a big help. :)

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home