The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Monday, June 13, 2005

Blue Jay Mamas....

Have been absent from blogworld this past week; have found it so relaxing to just sit and read or scrapbook, and not really care too much about the world's events!
Today, however, I was struck by the fierce determination of a blue jay mama and papa to defend their nest that I had to write. I suspected that jays had nested in our huge maple tree as I remember them "scoping" the tree out earlier this spring. Yesterday while sitting outside the back door I happened to look up and saw the nest with mama bird perched inside ....JUSt outside the kitchen door. I don't think the babies have hatched yet...or if so, they are still too tiny to make much noise.

This morning the commotion began when two crows decided they wanted jay eggs for breakfast. I watched all day as they kept coming back, and the jays were SO aggressive against these birds over twice their size! My little one asked why they were being so mean, and I told her, "that mama is protecting her babies...and I know just how she feels!" It was just another moment of realization of how God planned and ordered the universe so that parents protect their children.

Now, I know, there are mother animals who eat their young--and sadly far too many HUMAN mothers that deny life for their own--but this jay had such a mama's heart, and the male was just as fierce in protecting his mate. Not just his territory, but his MATE and unborn children. My little one and I sat on and off all day watching the attempts, and how each time they were driven away....once gone, they would both fly back up and tenderly attend to the nest.

I've already warned my daughter about how the jays will also go after the cat once the babies are born...especially if one should fall....and I've also explained the instincts of cats to eat baby birds. Today, however, I just enjoyed the show. I know that in animals its more instinct than love, but nonetheless I'll be watching this nest daily with my binoculars.

Aside from that, I think I've also kept away because I'm such a BEAR with this never ending heat wave FAR too early in the summer! I don't do heat and humidity well, and am just downright cranky. Unfortunately, so are both daughters. Coldfront is due on Wednesday...I"ll be the one standing out in the rain thanking God for the northwest wind!

1 Comments:

Blogger Magou said...

I will wait for the updates - hope all of your little animal world survives and puts on a beautiful show of growing and learning - you really do amaze me, with your closeness to God's heart and your graceful way to share your loveing thoughts! I want to grow up to be like you :-)

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home