The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Meatball Meditations

Yesterday I spent the day in the kitchen, first kneading and braiding a Swedish cardamon bread, and then rolling out 5 1/2 pounds of Swedish meatballs....for two long hours I sat there rolling, and it gave me lots of time to reflect. Shortly after beginning, my youngest arrived, looked in the bowl, and declared, "....awwh, Mom, that's dis-GUST-ing!!!" I have to admit that by looks alone, she was right. Meatball mixture is NOT a pretty sight, nor does it make your hands all that attractive to look at. I calmly told her, "well, right NOW it looks gross, but once I roll them all out and bake them, they turn out quite delicious!" Granted, this is a girl who lives on assorted pasta shapes and assorted french fry shapes, so I don't think she'll be sampling them to agree or disagree.

However, I began to think of my faith in terms of being a meatball. When I first allowed God's grace to change me, I must have looked an awful lot like that meatball on the outside.....all kinds of raw junk thrown together in a big mess. AFter years of living the "pagan" lifestyle, that's what my spiritual life was...a big mess. One that I thought was "quite dis-GUST-ing" as she put it. Now all by itself, a meatball mixture is going to stay that way...and so would my faith life. In order to change, both needed to be molded. Those meatballs were lovingly rolled, and occassionally I had to add a bit more, or take a bit away, or do the sphere over again, until I was satisfied that it would hold together and turn out the right way.

I, too, am like that meatball....without allowing God to take me in His hand and mold me, I would have been nothing. I think He had to roll me for a LONG time before He was ready to put me through the next step....the fire. Again, without being heated from within to just the right temperature, a meatball can be downright deadly. I, too, needed the grace of the Holy Spirit and the fire of Christ's love to get rid of all the deadly stuff inside.

I guess that's where the comparison stops though. The meatballs are now in the freezer ready to go to MA tomorrow for a big family reunion this weekend (our 49th annual reunion!), and by Sunday night they'll be gone. Me? I hope to think I'll be around a little longer than that! I also realize that I will be a meatball over and over again in life, as God continues to mold me and shape me into the person He means for me to be. The saints are meatballs that are done. Me? I still have a lot of rolling needed, I think.

I'll be out of the blogosphere until late Mon or Tuesday...my ape husband will be staying home due to some crazy work schedules with fiscal years, so I hope that he is able to get online and see what's happening in the world. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

By the way, I just did a reflection on MEATBALLS....maybe I should worry...:O)

6 Comments:

Blogger ~m2~ said...

i love this meditation - i meditate over everything i do and somehow track it back to an experience of God :)

so.

you are now a frozen lumpy meatball; i will pray for you during your time in the sauce as it begins to boil...

1:37 PM  
Blogger bill naka said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of buy baby gift.

4:08 AM  
Blogger diaper king said...

Hello ##NAME##, what a great blog! I can't believe the fantastic ideas you come up with! My baby shower gift site is a little off your topic but something
I believe you may find interesting. I was searching for diaper cakes when I stumbled across your site. Keep up the creative thinking and I will be back to check this out again. Let's say a prayer for our boys in Iraq and hope for the best.

2:23 AM  
Blogger diaper king said...

Hello ##NAME##, what a great blog! I can't believe the fantastic ideas you come up with! My baby basket site is a little off your topic but something
I believe you may find interesting. I was searching for diaper cakes when I stumbled across your site. Keep up the creative thinking and I will be back to check this out again. Let's say a prayer for our boys in Iraq and hope for the best.

2:20 AM  
Blogger diaper king said...

Hello ##NAME##, what a great blog! I can't believe the fantastic ideas you come up with! My baby basket site is a little off your topic but something
I believe you may find interesting. I was searching for diaper cakes when I stumbled across your site. Keep up the creative thinking and I will be back to check this out again. Let's say a prayer for our boys in Iraq and hope for the best.

3:53 AM  
Blogger diaper king said...

Hello ##NAME##, what a great blog! I can't believe the fantastic ideas you come up with! My baby basket site is a little off your topic but something
I believe you may find interesting. I was searching for diaper cakes when I stumbled across your site. Keep up the creative thinking and I will be back to check this out again. Let's say a prayer for our boys in Iraq and hope for the best.

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home