The Dizzy Disciple

Who you are is God's gift to you. Who you become is your gift to God. As a homeschool mom, I am both teaching and learning everyday. May I always be a disciple who is unafraid to have her light shine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, United States

I'm a Catholic homeschool mom with two daughters, one husband, and four cats. In addition to being the "teacher" at home, I teach weekly at our area learning center, as well as work at our local YMCA a few times a week. Occasionally I take to the stage and have some fun on my own!

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Am I overly neurotic?

Do other mothers out there get overly neurotic when their children are sick? Is it just the lack of sleep that makes our brain cells start to fantasize these horrible thoughts, or is my inner "mother's intuition" trying to tell me something that I'm missing? The storm queen has been sick again, and last night the wonderful ape husband made me go up for a "nap" at 8PM since I'd gotten about 3 hours of sleep in the previous two nights combined....I told him I was sure I wouldn't sleep long, but came down at 3:30 feeling pretty refreshed, actually. He's gone up for a few hours of real sleep. (He actually sleeps some when he's on "vigil" duty...but then, he's not neurotic!)

The second night of no sleep I was up all night--first reading through the baby health books on every sickness that had her sympptoms, and then later on the computer doing research on all the rare diseases that she must have...seriously, am I the only one that gets this nutty? I know I tend to have a tendency to worry (just a wee bit!) about most things, but this one lately has been bugging me more than usual. I guess any of you moms with lots of kids would have a better idea of whether I'm nuts.

I remember my oldest was sick alot between the ages of 1-2 because she was in daycare. In fact, she was on antibiotics more than she was off for that year...her weakness was ear infections. My storm queen, on the other hand, has been home with mom all her life, and so I figured her immunity system would get bombarded more around ages 4-5 when she started getting out more. For quite awhile now she has had these periodic episodes, and I don't know if it's just her "weakness" area, or if there is a pattern that I should start taking seriously. Every 2-3 months, she is sick for a couple of days....almost always nausea/vomiting and sometimes a touch of sore throat. There is always a low grade fever, and occassionally a higher one. I wondered if allergies was the culprit, or if she's just picking up germs here and there in the course of life that she's not had to fight yet.

This current episode started on July 4th...although her spirits were good early in the day, I noticed she didn't eat. By dinner time she was holding a bucket, and the next day/evening was worse. She's now gone over 24 hours without vomiting, but still feels some nausea. She definitely has a low grade fever, and is REALLY weak and tired.....slept almost all day yesterday. Yesterday she managed to keep down a half a sandwich, and she's been eating TONS of ice chips so I don't have to worry about dehydration. It seems to just be a stomach bug....but then, is it normal for a kid to get this every 2-3 months? (I was actually able to go back in my blog and see that she was sick the end of April...blogs are great for that!)

This morning I feel better after a full night's sleep...I guess if she is still down and out today I will think about a doctor's appt. tomorrow (They have no hours on Thu)....but then, what do you say? "I think my daughter has a rare disease and I want you to find it and fix it?" I'm not sure I want to pay my co-pay just to get that "you're crazy, lady" look from the doctor. At any rate, she is sleeping once again...my husband tells me that her body is just doing it's normal thing to heal, but he's not neurotic like me.

He will most likely have to do taxi duty with my authoress, who is attending a three week drama camp...she is having a blast, and yesterday came home and went up to practice for another hour or two. They are putting on the show "Cinderella", and by the end of the week she will know who is doing what part, so of course she is practicing like crazy to get SOMEthing (she doesn't want a BIG part...just a little one!)

I've been trying to do a little work from home, but not having lots of luck. Hopefully today I'll have a few more brain neurons firing than the past two days, and won't need to "just sit" and read/talk/sing/hum/watch videos all day.

Time to get a refill on the coffee, and then go wake up the ape husband....days like this, I'm not sure if I should be praying to St. Anne for a mom's sanity, or St. Dymphna for a mom's neurosis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home